Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Treadmill v Outdoors

So today the plan was to do week 3, round 2 of the couch to 5k. Despite my new appreciation of running in the rain, nature had other plans, as there were severe thunderstorms going on when I got home from work. I almost resigned myself to doing a Jillian video but I really wanted to run! I made a gametime decision and decided to go to the gym at my complex to run on the treadmill. And yes, I drove there. I felt foolish driving but I'm not trying to get struck by lightening! Anyway, I set the incline to 1.0, being that I read somewhere that it simulates that outdoors. Yeah right! My legs were definitely not feeling the treadmill, and the workout just wasn't as challenging. I did work up a sweat, but after finishing the couch to 5k portion I jogged for another 10 minutes at 5.8. I checked my heartrate and it was barely 150!

Needless to say, I've come to the conclusion that running outdoors is far superior to the treadmill. Outdoors you have to deal with the weather, heat, humidity, coldness, dips, hills and the like. Since most races are completed outdoors, it makes the most sense to train outdoors. I get the feeling that if I ran on a treadmill leading up to a 5k, I would not be ready to complete the run outdoors. Plus, the changing scenery helps to keep it interesting.

It was still a good workout and I got in week 3 round 2 of the 100 pushups workout. This week is super hard! I may have to repeat it another time! Oh and very exciting---- I won a challenge on TK! Hizzle was hosting a change it challenge on the change it challenge board. Basically we had to post what we were doing to reach our goals for 2 weeks straight. Granted, there weren't many of us participating, but it is still cool to win!

No comments:

Post a Comment