Monday, January 4, 2010

Goals and Sigg Om Water Bottle Winner!

Good morning! I'm currently typing this as I ride the train back to Albany on Sunday evening (so pictureless post, sorry!). It was really sad to leave Bri today. We got to spend so much time together; it provided a nice little teaser as to what married life it going to be like- awesome! He is coming up to Albany in a few weeks so we can attend pre-cana, and then I'll see him two weekends in February. After that, it's wedding time and we won't have to do distance any longer. I can't wait. My heart hurts when I have to leave him.


Note to self when traveling on trains in the future: pack more snacks! I attempted to walk to the snack cart earlier, which is no fun when the train is wobbling all over the place. When I got to the cart, it was "temporarily" closed. Dang it! I eventually made my way back later and purchased two bottles of water and a cheese plate. That coupled with a honey wheat bagel and some dried mango slices doth not a balanced diet make. It's easier when driving to pick up somewhat healthy snacks (nuts, bars, etc) but the train is so much more convenient. So, moral of the story is next train trip I am packing lots of healthy goods and a big bottle of water.


It's Monday, which means I'm back to work after over a week off. I am excited to get back but January is going to be crazy! I am traveling around the state putting on three seminars by myself and two additional seminars with my other co-counsel. This means a lot of workouts on the road (I still have to train for the 14k!) and making healthy eating decisions on the road. Anyway, since it's the beginning of January, I was thinking about things I'd like to accomplish this year. I don't really "do" resolutions; I just want to think of ways to become a more well-rounded person.

Goals: Professional

1. Complete at least 50 hours of pro-bono work
a. This will not further my legal career in the field that I am in (municipal), but I think it is important for attorneys to volunteer their services to those who may not have representation otherwise. I was hesitant to do pro-bono work at first because my area of expertise doesn?t really lend itself to pro-bono cases. I was nervous that I would be in over my head handling Family Court cases and the like. However, the organization that I found provides you with clients that oftentimes just want an ear to listen to and a general overview of their legal rights. The clinics are twice monthly for approximately three hours a time, so I am hopeful that I will reach my goals.

2. Become a better small talker and more confident in social situations where I do not know anyone
a. In my job there are lots of networking events where we put in face time with our members. I am not an outgoing person by nature so when I first started (back in September 2008) I put on a brave front but was often very uncomfortable. I have gotten much better in approaching people and making conversation, but I still have room for improvement.

3. Improve my public speaking abilities
a. I put on a lot of presentations. I have seen tremendous improvements in my speaking abilities since starting my current job. My boss serves as an amazing motivator; I have never seen a more confident, engaging speaker. I would like to be at that level someday. Until then, I would like to continue making strides forward in feeling more comfortable in front of the podium.


Goals: Health and Fitness

1. Complete the Virginia is For Lovers 14k
a. I am really excited for this race. On the day of the race it will be a PDR for me. Not only that, it's on Valentine's day, which is the weekend Bri and I got engaged last year. It's a couples race and all of the female finishers get roses at the end. I'm so excited!


2. Complete the Rock 'n Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon
a. The half marathon is the ultimate distance for me. I really don't think my body can handle a marathon; I love running but it is hard on the body and I already had hip issues before running came into the mix. If I could run a half I would be so happy!

3. Attend a yoga class at least once a week in a studio
a. I love doing yoga at home, for the convenience and cost-saving factor (yoga classes are pricey!) However, there is something to be said for going into a studio and getting taught by a knowledgeable instructor that can help your form. If I can't attend a class because of travel, I have to at least practice yoga once a week on my own.

4. Run a 5k in under 30:00
a. I know I can do this! My last 5k was 30:37. I need to push myself harder to go faster and, of course, do some speedwork. I am confident that I will reach this goal this year!

5. Continue overall strength training at least once a week
a. Right now I'm mainly getting strength training in through pushups and my body sculpting class. I love my body sculpting class so much that I've incorporated it into my training schedule. I would like to maintain this at bare minimum, and hopefully incorporate more strength training into my life.

6. Complete at least 30 pushups in a row
a. When I first started engaging in healthy living seriously, I could not even do one regular pushup. It was a struggle for me to even do modified pushups with the proper form. I read about the 100 pushups workout and started it after I got through the shred. I have yet to get past week 4 (I've repeated it so many times) but I'm able to do 5 sets of pushups totaling around 70, and can do about 20 without stopping. I'd like to up that number to 30.

7. Incorporate more veggies into my life
a. I am NOT a veggie person. I tried brussel sprouts for the first time in a while the other day and nearly gagged. I need to find a way to make them more appealing and thus up my intake. I do love peas though. Yum! I've been putting peas in annie's organic white cheddar shells and the kick it up a notch, both nutritionally and taste wise!

Goals: Personal

1. Cook a new dish at least once a month
a. Once I find something I like, I tend to stick with it. It can get pretty boring. So, forcing myself to cook something new at least once a month can get me out of my cooking rut!

2. Do more sweet things for Bri
a. Bri is such a great guy and I am a lucky girl. I want to do more sweet things for him to show my appreciation.


Goals: Financial

1. Save at least $10,000 to put towards an emergency fund.
a. In the personal finance world, your emergency fund should cover three to six months of expenses, with three being very conservative. As it stands, my fixed expenses (student loans, car, insurance, cell) total about $1,000 (gotta love those law school loans). I do have additional variable expenses, so that coupled with the fact that Bri and I are merging finances, I want to have a healthy cushion of at least $10,000.

Wow. I didn?t think I a lot of goals but this list is quite extensive. I am excited for 2010 and can't wait to start making these goals reality!


Now for the fun part- the winner of the Sigg Om water bottle giveaway! I would like to thank everyone for entering. It means so much to me that you took the time to comment and read my blog. I wish I could give everyone a water bottle! The winner, per random integer.org, is:

Random Integer Generator
Here are your random numbers:
15
Timestamp: 2010-01-04 13:07:35 UTC

Comment Number 15, which is Ashley over at Fashionably Fit! Congrats Ashley! Email me at Fittowed@gmail.com and we'll get the ball rolling on your new sigg water bottle!


Is your 2010 off to a good start?

9 comments:

  1. Wow, those are a lot of goals! We share some of the same ones (public speaking, push-ups, financial...) I'd say '10 is off to a good start :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 2010 was off to a good start, but now it is off to a GREAT start! Yay!!! I'll e-mail you.

    Your goals are quite lofty -- good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great goals, and I know you will do well with them. Your mention about brussel sprouts gave me an idea to do a post later today on how we like to cook them, thank you :-) We are on the same page with eating more veggies. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just in case you haven't tried this way of cooking veggies http://www.givelovecreatehappiness.com/1/post/2010/01/eat-more-veggies-brussel-sprouts.html

    By the way I meant to say that pro-bono work is such a great goal. Good for you for giving back with your time and knowledge! I believe that will open up the door for many more great things to come into your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great goals. I also want to run a sub 30 minute 5K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New to your blog and I like it!! I really love your 2010 goals. I think we have many of the same, especially incorporating veggies into my life! I plan on running my first 5k this summer. Right now I don't think there is any way I could do it but I've recently joined the fit train and I'm on my way..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great goals! I could work on several of these as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome goals! I wish I was a better public speaker - I don't have to do it much, thank goodness, but every time is a nightmare. And I love your 30 push-ups goal - I can maybe do 10 actual push-ups - I have the worst upper body strength.

    Glad you enjoyed your visit with Bri! Your wedding is so close now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great post with excellent goals! Good luck to you! :)

    That 14k sounds like a lot of fun! I would love to do a race together with Spike, as it stands I feel bad when he runs with me because he's so fast and I hate slowing him down!

    So exciting that you're almost done with the LDR! It's so tough isn't it? :(

    ReplyDelete