Sunday, April 18, 2010

Weekend Wrap Up

Hi everyone! Is it me, or did the weekend fly by? My weekend has been quiet but eventful! Yesterday started at the vet, where Bailey got two vaccinations (rabies and lyme disease) AND blood drawn. The vet we go to now keeps him in the room while he does the shots, and Bails didn't make a peep the whole time! He is such a brave little guy.

After the vet, I zipped over to my first hot yoga class. It was a 90 minute "hot vinyasa" session. Holy. I have seriously NEVER sweat so much in my entire life. The class was awesome! The room was heated to 95 degrees, as opposed to 105, which I believe is the temperature during Bikram. The instructor asked if we were familiar with David Baptiste, because her style was similar. There were women (and a man!) of all levels in the class, which made me feel super comfortable. The class was really intense, in a good way. I had to stop at a few points because I was starting to feel light-headed. Hot yoga is no joke, and I am officially addicted! I felt amazing afterwards and last night I noticed that my skin was incredibly soft. Simply amazing! I can't wait to attend more classes.

After yoga, I hit up the grocery store to get some goods so I could put one of my fave wedding presents to use:
Isn't she lovely? Into the juicer went:
  • 1 cucumber
  • 2 granny smith apples (no coring necessary with this baby!)
  • 1 lemon
  • Ginger

My take on juicing: yes, please! The juice was fantastic and cleaning up was relatively easy. I like it so much that I had to make some more juice this evening:

  • 1 grapefruit
  • 1 pear
  • blackberries

Ummm, I think I'm in lurrrve!! My dad tried the juice concoction from yesterday and actually liked it (this is huge, considering the look on his face when I asked him if he wanted to try a green monster). Do you juice? If so, any combos I should try?

This morning I met up with my fellow Ragnar Relayers to discuss the race (we are less than a month away!!) This was extra cool because I got to meet Amanda, the inspiring blogger at Manderz Journey to a New Life! She is running a half marathon next weekend after just running the Disney Princess last month. Hardcore.

Our race legs were discussed, and I realized that one of my legs was going to be entirely on a trail. Since I've had issues with my ankles in the past (not running thus far, thankfully) I headed over to Fleet Feet after the meeting to pick up these beauties:

The Asics Gel Trail Attack! They are really comfortable, although I am now questioning my decision to go with an 8.5. I normally wear that size but the last time I purchased my running shoes, the lady told me I was actually an 8. Maybe I am just used to the tight feel of my running shoes? I'm thinking I will need more room in the shoe anyway. We'll see!

Random sidenote: look what I received the other day!

The officers in Bri's command had flowers sent to "Mrs. H" (me, yay!) welcoming me into the Navy family. How sweet, right?!

Anyway, back to the weekend haul. I have had a giftcard to Dicks burning a hole in my pocket since Christmas. I have been looking for a pair of running capris but all of the stores I've looked at have always been out of my size. Today, I was in luck:

The running capris, AND a new under armour shirt in a wicked bright orange. I plan on wearing this during the relay- I want to be super bright!
After that, I headed over to a local college campus that is known for being hilly to do some hill training. After coming across these articles, I decided to do 10x100 meter repeats (sprint up the hill, walk down, repeat). I am pretty sure I saw two college students smoking in the woods. Whatever floats your boat. I applied some of the tips I read in the article and it wasn't too bad! I stared straight ahead while running up the hills, and this really seemed to help! After the repeats I jogged around campus (feeling wicked old) until garmie read 3 miles. It was a great workout! Do you hill train?
How was your weekend? It's time for me to decompress with some wine. Have a great night!

12 comments:

  1. Yay, so glad you got a juicer!! I love mine! That ginger, lemon, apple, cuc combo is one of my faves-- I like to throw a little spinach in there as well (you have to kind of ball it up and stick it in with the other ingredients to get any juice out of it, but it's worth it!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo jealous of your juicer!!! I think I'm going to get one for graduation!

    I should follow your lead and do some hill training. I know it would be beneficial. I'm kinda lost on what to do though.

    One tip that a friend told me: When you're running up the hill, pretend like you're pulling yourself up with your arms...it really does help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the new shoes & clothes. Under Armour is my favorite brand :D

    Whoa, your juicer looks fancy! I've never juiced before but I've heard that it's important to have something sweet in there (I'm guessing a glass of kale is a little strong lol)
    I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The juicer was my favorite present too, besides my espresso machine (love!!!)! I like green apple, cucumber, lemon, and beets. Also, if you have the time to peel one- pineapples make SO much juice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it easy to clean? I have been thinking about getting one to add veggies to my kids drinks, but I want something I can put in the dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, a juicer. We are registering soon and I can't wait! I love your new shoes; I desperating need some new kicks.

    I almost always run in capris. I got a really nice Danskin ones from Walmart on clearance for $9.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Katie,
    I love my Asics and I went with a 8.5 too:) I also like your new running outfit...you will be a styling girl!! BTW: Those flowers are so beautiful....someone is a lucky girl:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want a juicer! That thing is beautiful. I love my Asics. I wouldn't run without them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay your relay is coming up! For some reason I think I remember it being the same weekend as my marathon - May 16?

    We have a juicer and I have yet to use it! I'm so lazy. I do see all these lovely juiced drinks of various blogs, but I never think to pull it out.

    Hills are tough lady! I've never done a straight hill workout, but I've been working them into my runs a lot more lately. And man does it burn!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tried to find you on facebook but there are multiple people with your name- whats your school?
    I'm excited to see some pics. We are going to Big Island and Maui :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hill runs totally inspired me to add them into my workout for this weekend. I keep wanting to put it off. Also thank you for attaching those articles, I have bookmarked them for later. I think they will be helpful! Okay, so your juicer rocks and I am totally jealous. You are going to be rocking some sweet juice combos. Can't wait! And yay for new running shoes and clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your honeymoon pics are awesome!!! I am hoping to plan a trip to New Zealand for this fall and that got me all excited again.

    Glad the hill work went well...it's totally a mental thing and makes me feel strong when I'm done and yes sore later

    ReplyDelete