Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas, a Three Mile Run and Delectable French Toast

Merry Christmas! I love the holidays. The weather is actually pretty mild around here (about 33 degrees). Yesterday Bri came (yay!) and we had an awesome three mile run. It was about 32 degrees- I wore my under armour cold gear top, Reebok running tights, under armour gloves and my ear cover and I was good to go. The cold air is seriously so refreshing! 32 degrees is the perfect winter running temperature- I'm convinced of it! Today is a rest day and I am super excited about it. My legs are sore and it means I get to drink mimosas with Christmas breakfast :)



So today is a very special day. In addition to Christmas, my little guy turns four today. Happy birthday Bailey! Bailey's birthday and Christmas goodies




He approves!


It's become somewhat of a tradition for me to make my "special" french toast on holidays. The recipe is from our Williams Sonoma Bride Groom cookbook that we got at our engagement party (thanks mom!)


The recipe calls for:

-a day old loaf of French bread

-4 large eggs

-1 egg yolk

-2 cups milk

-1 tsp vanilla extract

-1 tsp orange zest

-2 T fresh orange juice

-4 1/2 tsp sugar

-3/4 tsp kosher salt

-butter for the pan


The goods:

Slice the loaf into approximately 20 pieces. Beat together the eggs, yolk, milk, vanilla, orange juice and zest, sugar and salt, blending well. Pour the mixture into a large dish.


Prick the tops of the bread with a fork. This allows the bread to better absorb the egg mixture. Then place the bread into the egg mixture.




Submerged bread


The recipe says to let the bread sit for 15 minutes. I, however, am impatient, and the bread usually sits for five or ten minutes when I cook.


Next, melt some butter on either a cast iron skillet or a griddle. I used a griddle this morning and found it much more convenient than the skillet method, namely because it is more efficient!
French toast cooking


Flip the bread occasionally, until each side looks like it's done (generally about 5 or 10 minutes). Then feast!




Finished product.


This french toast may not be the healthiest, but it is super easy to make and is perfect to break out for special occasions. The addition of the orange zest and vanilla really takes it a step above normal french toast.

--
I made out like a bandit today! I am so spoiled. Bri got me a ton of running stuff, including a gorgeous lululemon zip up, pink zensah running sleeves and a running log :) My parents also got me my awesome Sigg I love running waterbottle!
Modeling my new goods. And I may or may not be hosting a giveaway involving one of the aforementioned items in a future post ;) I'm very excited about it!

Christmas eve was a blast yesterday. Bri and I started the day off at Christina and Rob's, then made our way over to my grandmother's house.



My brother modeling one of Matthew's presents.







My brother, grandmother and I



Christina and I with our pups.





Family pic!




Brian and Rob- they love each other.





Sadie wasn't sure if Bailey was a dog or a toy.


Happy holidays!



6 comments:

  1. Sore legs + Christmas = Mimosas for sure :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Bailey!!!!!! Yum your french toast look delicious!! Maybe someday when you make it to cali to see your Mom you can make it for us, lol....Love you and Merry Christmas to you, Bri and Bailey :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas!! Nice presents - I got a water bottle as well. It must be the thing to give this Christmas. Way to be green everyone. :-) Your french toast looks amazing.

    How gross was today though?! I was dying to go for a run, but the slush and ice seemed a bit scary. Maybe tomorrow I'll make it out. Have a great rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog! congratulations on the engagement and merry christmas! :) look forwarding to reading more about you in the "new year"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all your new stuff! Happy Birthday Bailey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the pics, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete